The Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute of New York University invites applications for the Matthew Power Literary Reporting Award, to be awarded in Spring 2019. In filling out the application below, please be succinct but specific and answer every question. The proposal deadline is February 19, 2019, with a decision anticipated in late April. The completed project must be delivered no later than November 4, 2019. The Institute expects the completed work to appear in an English-language publication of strong reputation. Ineligible to apply are NYU affiliates, NYU graduates with degrees dated 2017 and after, and journalists holding staff positions at established media outlets that are in a position to fund such projects on their own. The award includes NYU I.D. and full online and onsite NYU Bobst Library research and reference privileges. The monetary awards will be distributed in the following way:
- Main prize: $6,000 upon announcement of the winning proposal; $3,000 upon evidence of substantial progress (usually a first draft); and $3,500 upon completion and acceptance by the Award committee.
- Runner-up prize: $4,000 upon announcement of the winning proposal.
Before creating your application, please read the FAQ and the Competition Terms of Agreement and Eligibility Requirements carefully. If you have a question about applying which is not answered in either place, you may inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Reporting Award award provides up to $12,500 for a significant work of journalism, in any medium, on an under-reported subject in the public interest. Detailed information about the purpose of the award, application guidelines, and past winners and their work can be found on the Carter Journalism Institute website.
Before You Begin
Before creating your application, please review the Application Guidelines and Terms of Agreement carefully.
- Application Opens: Thursday, November 29, 2019
- Application Deadline: Tuesday, February 19, 2019
- Award Notification: May 2019
- Project Completion Deadline: Friday, December 13, 2019
Email The Reporting Award team at email@example.com.